Science

discussion

Light Curve Sonifications

Started by Tom128
Default_user
over 6 years ago

Here are some sonification of light curves using the Sonification Sandbox 6.1 program. The data for the light curves was downloaded from Planet Hunters. WavePad audio editor and Switch audio converter were used to create the mp3 audio files. You can also use Audacity as a sound editor and mp3 creator. Both programs are freeware. Here are the site links:

Sonification Sandbox 6.1

Audacity

Here is what TroyW has to say about Sandbox 6.1:

"This is a very cool program. It uses MIDI, which (for those that don't know) is a programming language created in the early 80s as a way for musical instruments to talk to each other. It is solid and simple, and there is tons of software and hardware that use it still. I have a popular piece of software that can import MIDI and do a a bazillion things to it. Along side the options in Sandbox, some extremely cool stuff can be made.

I also have an idea about how to do this with the Kepler data in the same way AKO does. And if that works (logically, it will), TTVs actually could be heard if the (1) Dips in the light are louder than brighter values and (2) the audio is panned between 2 channels in a stereo fashion. Imagine an image from AKO where the left side of the image would represent the left audio channel, the middle of the image would go to both channels, and the right side of the image would go to the right side. (Instead of 3 discrete sections, there would actually be 128)."

Sonification Sandbox 6.1 also has limitations as a stand alone program as TroyW points out:

"MIDI has limitations. The maximum range of notes possible using MIDI is only 128 notes. That means every value in the dataset has to be squeezed into a number between 0 and 127 (with no decimal). Subtle features in a dataset would likely be missed. Remember on the MP3 I posted (shown below) for Kepler 1 plays the same note quickly until it reaches the transit. The script I wrote for Sandbox is also only workable with a light curve that has not been detrended (currently), which is pretty much guaranteed to reduce the chance to hear the subtlety required for TTVs."

"As far as light curve sonification, a very precise control of the audio signal has to be a priority. What we really need is a frequency generator that can read the dataset. Audio frequencies offer a much higher degree of accuracy and range. It should also have individual control over various frequencies for volume control. A million or so other ideas come to mind when thinking about a frequency generator tuned to Kepler."

Here is Troy's latest contribution - the sonification of PH1b

PH1 sonification or "The tale of 5 dancers" mp3 - (Four stars and one planet)

Here is a sonification of Kepler 1b, KID 11446443/APH42122821 made by TroyW using this program with some tweaking and modification. It really is outstanding!

MP3 for KID 11446443

Known GDOR-EB KID 8355134/APH10085314

Dwarf Nova KID 7446357/APH51277721

Known EB KID 7584826/APH10038036

KID 4378554 /APH33074840 - Q3.3

KID 7446357/APH52277721 - Q5.3

Unlisted EB KID 10001167/APH52072139

Known EB, Kepler favorite KID 9705459/APH53022365

KID 1720673/APH10024355 Most likely charge bleed contamination.

KID 5964173/APH53062847

KID 8677949/APH52723058

KID 10859386/APH22050972

KID 8113425/APH10122029

KID 11811382/APH32100092

KID 8075755/APH10098967

KID 7825764/ APH53144279

Default_user
over 6 years ago

Oooh, I can't wait to listen to this later. My main job is an audio engineer, so this is especially interesting.

I've been considering ways to do this for a later date as well (if the time becomes available).

Default_user
over 6 years ago

Hi Troy, the sonifications are a little rough. I would have liked to have entered the full numerical values for each day instead of the abridged version I used. Having some control over the playback speed would be helpful as the clips are fast and short before they loop again. Using fits data would be more precise. Something sensitive enough to entertain us with the sound for TTVs in the light curves :-)

Default_user
over 6 years ago

Well done on finally figuring out a solution on this, Tom!

That RRL sounds like a machine gun or something!

So--when are you taking requests? =)

Default_user
over 6 years ago

Tom128:

Hi Daryll,

The current sandbox program is crude and more for novelty listening pleasure, kind of like listening to fingernails scratching across a blackboard in some cases :-) I am finding the data download from PH beyond Q1 to be unusable thus far due to the times being scrambled. Will most likely have to use detrended fits files put onto an excel spread sheet to copy and past into the program.

what's scrambled? the csv files should be fixed now - if they're not, can you let me know what's not right about them so I can let the developers know. We should be able to fix that pretty simply.

~Meg

Default_user
over 6 years ago

for the out of sequence times you could sort with excel. The 0, 0 are probably spurious data points, Kepler marks a zero or a nan in the fits file binary tables if data is missing or bad. I'll send an email to the developers see if they can take a look at the out of order times

~Meg

Default_user
over 6 years ago

Actually i know what it is, I had reported this a few months back it was supposed to be fixed - the middle column is time , first column is flux. I just sent an email to support to let them know the issue has cropped up again.

Cheers,

~Meg

Default_user
over 6 years ago

Thanks Meg :-)

Default_user
over 6 years ago

The first column Tom has posted is time. The difference between each number is 0.020434 (long cadence time interval). Tom, is the time column even necessary to enter this data into Sandbox? If so, I have an idea on a fix. If not, bypass that column entirely.

Default_user
over 6 years ago

You know Troy, I am not really sure. I think you have much more expertise in this area. I will be reworking the submissions I posted to see if they can be slowed down and improved.

Please Log In to make comments.