Science

discussion

Exoplanet Links and Resources

Started by TonyJHoffman
Default_user
about 8 years ago

After reading Gerald's mention of Ray Jayawardhana's book Strange New Worlds The Search for Alien Planets, I went out and ordered a copy myself; a fascinating read, and I'm learning a lot--it also reinforces my feeling of being incredibly privileged and lucky, as a citizen scientist and amateur astronomer, to be able to take part in a small way in one of the great scientific quests of our age.

It strikes me that there's a large and growing body of exoplanet resources--books, Web sites, popular articles, scholarly papers, apps, video, transit and EB calculators--for people of all levels, from newbies to scientists working in the field. People have been mentioning or posting them all along, but they've been spread across a variety of threads. Feel free to post them here, and--only if you wish--a few words about why you like the resource or what makes it important. I'll start with the Jayawardhana book, a fascinating insider's overview of the history of exoplanetology and the state of the field. You'll even find at least one name who's familiar firsthand to many here. Here's the book's description from its publisher, Princeton University Press: http://press.princeton.edu/titles/9404.html

Default_user
about 8 years ago

I really like the idea behind this site exosolar.net. It presents a 3D map of our solar system's neighbourhood together with suspected EBs and planets. I'm not sure how up to date it is. For instance I don't know if the Kepler candidates are there (I guess they would be quite far away).

Default_user
about 8 years ago

Check out my old post Exoplanet Data Junkies Websites

Default_user
about 8 years ago

...a fascinating read, and I'm learning a lot--it also reinforces my feeling of being incredibly privileged and lucky, as a citizen scientist and amateur astronomer, to be able to take part in a small way in one of the great scientific quests of our age.

Well put, Tony.

I have a few good ones on the shelf at home I will list; one I scored recently used was "Binary Stars: a Pictorial Atlas", which actually turned out to be not very useful as a reference guide but good for visualizing how different EB's orbit each other. Many of the Ph EB's we see here are FAR more complex than what the computers came up w/ in ~1992, so it's been interesting to compare the two.

Default_user
about 8 years ago

Eclipsing Binary Simulator

http://astro.unl.edu/classaction/animations/binaryvariablestars/eclipsingbinarysim.html

Default_user
about 8 years ago

robert gagliano:

Check out my old post Exoplanet Data Junkies Websites

Great thread you started had my eye on it for a while. Hope it's ok to post the links here that you posted there.

Posted by robert gagliano - A feast for exoplanet data junkies.

The Extrasolar Planets Encyclopedia...

Exoplanet Data Explorer...

PlanetQuest...

Catalog of Exoplanets...

VizieR...-enter V/133 (Kepler Input Catalog) in Find catalogs and click Find

Default_user
about 8 years ago

Twitter Via @LeeBillings "The past, present, and future of the exoplanet.eu database:"

Defining and cataloging exoplanets: The exoplanet.eu database

Default_user
about 8 years ago

Great links!

Imagine what the exoplanet DB will look like in 25 or even 50 years from now...

Default_user
about 8 years ago

I like the Exoplanet iPhone/iPad app; it sends me push notices whenever exoplanet discoveries become official.

Default_user
about 8 years ago

Terrestrial budget cuts (and NASA infighting) vs. exoplanet research: http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2011/0617/Space-exploration-Will-budget-cuts-stall-search-for-other-Earths

Please Log In to make comments.