Help

discussion

Many images coming in with "transit data" in D4 & 14.

Started by chenjira
Default_user
almost 7 years ago

I've seen a common pattern today with lots of images coming that have "transit" data in the D4 and D14 ranges (and in some cases D29).

APH71783260

APH71134381

APH71083942

APH71043676

APH71103416

APH71036015

APH71117660

APH71271553

APH71748521

APH71077583

APH71035328

APH71248267

APH71137256

APH71342299

APH71083658

APH71732681

All of them have transits in these days for the most recent quarter only.

Is there something affecting the data?

I'm sure I'll come across more.

Default_user
almost 7 years ago

These are very nasty glitches. Check out page 4 over here: http://talk.planethunters.org/science/discussions/DPH1003diq

Default_user
almost 7 years ago

Thanks cappella, very insightful. I'll bear this in mind when analyzing the data. This one seems particularly prominent right now.

Default_user
almost 7 years ago

Tell me about it. A lot of people tag these features. Correcting them can be a day-time job ;-)

Default_user
almost 7 years ago

Ok, starting a new hashtag #Q7_glitch to try and differentiate it and will mark all cases I find as such, will try and encourage others to do the same, not that I think your workload will diminish significantly. :)

Default_user
almost 7 years ago

Glad I found this! I will mark the ones I found already... 4 so far :(

Default_user
almost 7 years ago

i am finding these also; should i keep marking them?

Default_user
almost 7 years ago

I've decided to mark all as #glitch and not #Q7_glitch as the #glitch hashtag is already established. It appears in pre-Q7 data from what I can see, so #Q7_glitch wouldn't make sense.

Keep marking them as it's good to have them all collected in one place if someone wants to examine all the examples we have. Any classification we can do en masse is basically what Planet Hunters was really designed for and as the glitches aren't always completely the same, aren't always clear and often don't occur in all days and sometimes appear in inverse - machines might not be able to spot a pattern of glitches like this. It's probable they wouldn't.

I'm pretty sure they're aware of the glitches already, but for us, to make sure other newcomers or old hands to the PH site understand what they see, when they see glitches, I think it's invaluable classification.

I just add them to my glitch collection and hashtag them with #glitch for further analysis, if necessary.

If you can spread the message and prevent the incorrect classification of transits, it'll mean a decreased workload for someone else, somewhere else!

Most of all Happy Hunting! :D

N.B. Be careful you don't get into a habit of just labelling something as a glitch as you're in a run of them or there's a trend in different images you see, there's been examples that I would have written off as glitch that aren't and actually require further analysis.

Just a thought!

Default_user
almost 7 years ago

I will continue to mark them as #Q7_glitch, cause this is a unique tag for this glitch and you can search for this tag, maybe we should use both tags

Default_user
almost 7 years ago

Some Q7.1 day 4 and 14 glitches look like flares and not transit features. Thought I'd let you know :-), but they are glitches just the same.

Please Log In to make comments.