Help

discussion

Developers, easy fix to to the Kepler archive

Started by troyw
Default_user
over 6 years ago

There are several GET variables that need to be adjusted for when clicking 'View on Kepler Archive' from a star page.

The link starts as, and has the following variables:

http://archive.stsci.edu/kepler/kepler_fov/search.php?kic_kepler_id=(KIC#)

&selectedColumnsCsv=

kic_kepler_id

twomass_2mass_id

twomass_tmid,kic_degree_ra

kic_dec

kct_avail_flag

kic_pmra

kic_pmdec

kic_umag (no replacement)

kic_gmag g

kic_rmag r

kic_imag i

kic_zmag z

kic_gredmag gred

kic_d51mag d51mag

twomass_jmag JK

twomass_hmag HK

twomass_kmag K

kic_kepmag kepmag

kic_scpid

kic_altid

kic_teff

kic_logg

kic_feh

kic_ebminusv

kic_av

kic_radius

kic_grcolor gr

twomass_jkcolor JK

twomass_gkcolor gK

kic_ra

kct_num_season_onCCD

&action=Search

The bold is the replacement variable.

Default_user
over 6 years ago

For reference: http://archive.stsci.edu/kepler/kepler_fov/help/columns.html

Default_user
over 6 years ago

Thanks. I'm already aware of the issue and how to fix the query call. MAST decided to change their variable names. I've already put in the proper fix a few days ago as a support ticket The Zooniverse launched a new project this week, so they probably haven't gotten to it yet. Let's give the other projects the attention from the developers that we got when we launched. If it's not fixed on friday, I'll inquire again.

Thanks,

~Meg

Default_user
over 6 years ago

Thanks Meg :)

Default_user
over 6 years ago

Hi Meg, while the developers are still busy maybe it's time to reconsider which of those fields are really necessary and reorder the query? e.g. RA, Dec, Kepmag, griz (maybe), Teff, radius, Log_g, gr are just about all that's needed most of the time. If not, then it's trivial to do another complete search with the KIC.

Actually if those are just the few needed, why not cache them in the PH database? Showing the KIC/KID in the Examine Stars screen would cut down one extra hop.

Default_user
over 6 years ago

kianjin:

Hi Meg, while the developers are still busy maybe it's time to reconsider which of those fields are really necessary and reorder the query? e.g. RA, Dec, Kepmag, griz (maybe), Teff, radius, Log_g, gr are just about all that's needed most of the time. If not, then it's trivial to do another complete search with the KIC.

Actually if those are just the few needed, why not cache them in the PH database? Showing the KIC/KID in the Examine Stars screen would cut down one extra hop.

I use those fields particularly ra and dec, the contamination estimates, and the other colors. Also that requires more storage space to put them into the PH database, and having to load mysql everytime I want to access those values, not worth it when we have MAST. We decided to show all the information for those volunteers who might not be as experienced and know how to get those values out of MAST.

~Meg

Default_user
over 6 years ago

It would be nice to skip MAST altogether since I am usually just looking for KIC number. You do at least have that in your database because the link contains the KIC number. Why not at least display that? Instead of "VIEW ON KEPLER ARCHIVE", make it.. "VIEW KIC 6541920 ON KEPLER ARCHIVE"?

Default_user
over 6 years ago

troyw:

It would be nice to skip MAST altogether since I am usually just looking for KIC number. You do at least have that in your database because the link contains the KIC number. Why not at least display that? Instead of "VIEW ON KEPLER ARCHIVE", make it.. "VIEW KIC 6541920 ON KEPLER ARCHIVE"?

Because the zooniverse has the same storage format APHblahblahblah, so we decided to go with something that wasn't a Kepler id. That always has to be the case so it would never exactly be the kepler id. That would require alot of work to redo all of that, so we stuck with the SPH and APH (and it's not going to change in future upgrades when and if they happen). Adding the MAST link was our easiest way of giving the Kepler id and also giving links to other information people wanted like the ra and dec and colors of the star. Also making changes like putting the kepler id in different places, requires funding for developer time to do that. We right now have time for general maintenance like fixing the MAST url but not stripping out all of the aphids that would be significant reworking of the database. We have to balance our small amount of developer time with our needs. The majority of volunteers don't access the source pages or want the kepler id versus getting Quarter 7 uploaded. When we do have funding and developer time for significant upgrades, I will bring up adding the kepler id to the source pages or making talk searchable by Kepler id so it is more convenient for you all.

Cheers,

~Meg

Default_user
over 6 years ago

It should be fixed later tonight.

Cheers,

~Meg

Default_user
over 6 years ago

mschwamb:

The majority of volunteers don't access the source pages or want the kepler id versus getting Quarter 7 uploaded.

Is Quarter 6 going to be uploaded at a later date?

Please Log In to make comments.