Help

discussion

Preparing Planet Hunters for Kepler's Extended Mission

Started by Tom128
Default_user
almost 7 years ago

nighthawk_black:

As far as the BJD--would it be possible instead to add a pop up style reference/conversion window, accessible from Talk and Examine star, that would show the BJD ranges correlating to each given Quarter chunk we currently have uploaded to PH? Obviously we can still figure this out in a minute or two but it would be nice to have some sort of shortcut!

I might be able to see if we can add bjd to the csv files.

~Meg

Default_user
almost 7 years ago

Many tools are complimentary to planet hunters. Development is expensive and time consuming. I think a focus on educating members and providing links to tools that can be useful is the way to go.

Default_user
almost 7 years ago

I have a few ideas:

1) a mobile app for Android or iO5+ or other mobile platforms. That way, people can look for stars on the mobile devices while in the subway/taxi/hospital waiting room/during the boring part of a lecture/coffee breaks while fighting zombie hordes/in line at the bank.

2) When clicking on "view image" when looking at an object in the Talk section, it would be useful to able to see the exact location you and another PH volunteer had tagged as a transit. It could be useful in error detection and feedback (what are they seeing that I'm not?- sort of feedback).

Default_user
over 6 years ago

Let's look at upgrades one more time.

Default_user
over 6 years ago

What more could we possibly need/want? We haz emoticons... :P j/k Jokes aside, I read the propositions, and more subforums and important threads stickied would be really nice, and I think it would rather easy to do for a forum administrator/someone with background in programming. It would make it easier for someone who just started on PH to spot threads that might interest him, rather than having to go browse back to page 50 on the Science Forum.

Default_user
over 6 years ago

With the recent exposure which created a large influx of new members;

I'd also recommend the tutorial video is updated if Chris (and Chris did a very good job the first time) or someone esle from the mod/science team has the time.

Whilst it gives a good introductory overview it's a little bit ambiguous with regard to the classification of stars and the example it uses to spot a transit doesn't actually have a transit in it.

Providing a few examples of different light curves and a clear actual transit would be much better. You could include pulsators, variables, flares, inverses, heartbeats, contacts, or at least some of these types to better aid people in correct identification.

Doing this could lead to the Talk pages being less cluttered with ... well, clutter.

As I said, the exisitng video is very good and clear, but doesn't really give people clear examples of classification from someone whose credentials they wouldn't question.

Just a suggestion.

Looking forward to lots more Happy Hunting into 2016 and beyond!

(I love the fact I can get a light curve, find the star in the Kepler database and then physically look at in all different wavelengths to try to identify and understand what's going there on thousands of light years away - All from home! For free! It boggles my mind and I owe a great debt to PH and its crew for greatly expanding my knowledge on star and extra-solar object classification.)

P.S. I second some presence of the KID/KIC on the PH site. Chasing down a star, whilst interesting when you come across as 180+ solar radii giant or a 11072K Blue Dwarf, can be quite tedious in repetition!

Please Log In to make comments.