Help

discussion

NEA - How to read and interprete

Started by cappella
Default_user
over 7 years ago

I am ready to add NEA to my research, but as this is totally new to me I need some help trying to make sense of it all. Now it's all Greek to me. I thought I'd better post this as a thread, because other newbies may benefit as well.

1. So I enter the KID number and then I see the plot. That I understand.

By the way what is long cadence?

2. I can put all plots in one graph. They are represented by different colours.

I understand that, but in what cases does this total overview come in handy?

3. The phased curve I don't understand. Is that raw data?

And what am I looking for here in case of a possible transit?

4. The periodogram with the spikes upward is another puzzle to me.

What is it and what am I looking for here?

I have got many more questions but I will ask them later. I will read a number of discussions about stars and try to make sense of it all.

Some things are really hard for me to understand, though I would really like to. Maybe these things are better left to the experts and the more experienced guys and gals.

I would appreciate any help, support and guidance here.

Default_user
over 7 years ago

Thanks for starting this thread cappella. I can't offer any help, but I will watch with interest. Happy to support this thread and look forward to learning a lot if others join in:-)

Default_user
over 7 years ago

The first thing to do is check out the phased curves posted for transits that members have posted here to get a feel for what to look for when you run the periodogram generator at NEA.

My suggestion is check only the box for the quarter you are interested in to see the time plot in more detail. Running them all simply gives you narrow lines with little detail. You are looking to see if there are data processing errors, breaks and most importantly transit drops. It is no different than what you see here but over the entire quarter.

Once you have selected your quarter of interest, click on the "Update your plot" button. The next step is click on the "Compute Periodogram" on bottom left of page. On the next page, click on "Phased Curve" button on the Rank 1 row. The phased curve will then pop up as a Lomb‑Scargle. Most people then check the radio button for Plavchan and run it again.

If it does not run, try again.

This is the basic level for running a phased curve and where I am at. More seasoned members tweak the data to get more refined results.

Please Log In to make comments.