KID 8462852 - Quarter 8, Quarter 16 and Quarter 17

Started by cappella
Default_user
about 5 years ago

What the...

Am I seeing things here? Take a look at Q17!

SAP_FLUX:

Q16 / Q17 spliced out of the MAST plotter:

Default_user
about 5 years ago

Well, well, well :-)

This is a nice Christmas present.

Default_user
about 5 years ago

BJD 1519 compared to 1568. The new drop is less than half the magnitude of the Q16 event; the features are similar but not identical... Separation between minimas is about 49 days while ~735 days separates the Q8 and Q16 drops.

The strange dip at 1540 is also curious and does not evenly straddle the divide between the Q16 and Q17 drops.

Hrm.

FULL

Default_user
about 5 years ago

I hasven't looked properly at this but I'm wondering if some type of triple architecture might work ... possibly something like an A(BC) and only occasional eclipses of A depending on BC period / inclinations etc

Default_user
about 5 years ago

Why would there be such large dips. no stellar object can do that I'm pretty sure, so the best theory in my opinion is the accretion disk. Look at Q16.3 the length of the transit is amazing. Could the raggedness and dips at the end of the transit be clumps of matter?

Default_user
about 5 years ago

What could cause the Brightness to increase on day 56400

Default_user
almost 5 years ago

KID 8462852

Possible multi-star system, other components unknown.

Alternating eclipses or something with a period around 737.97 days.

If a multi-star system, it could effect the amplitude of light (transit depths/timing/ttvs)

we see at given times, like how at the end of this light curve the light is more amplified.

Having a heartbeat/binary star or similar as part of the system could have a like effect.

Insufficient time data to classify longer period systems.

Default_user
over 3 years ago

New Planet Hunters paper (congrats to all involved):

"Planet Hunters X. KIC 8462852 - Where's the Flux?"

T. S. Boyajian, D. M. LaCourse, S. A. Rappaport, D. Fabrycky, D. A. Fischer, D. Gandolfi, G. M. Kennedy, M. C. Liu, A. Moor, K. Olah, K. Vida, M. C. Wyatt, W. M. J. Best, F. Ciesla, B. Csak, T. J. Dupuy, G. Handler, K. Heng, H. Korhonen, J. Kovacs, T. Kozakis, L. Kriskovics, J. R. Schmitt, Gy. Szabo, R. Szabo, J. Wang, S. Goodman, A. Hoekstra, K. J. Jek

http://arxiv.org/abs/1509.03622

"Over the duration of the Kepler mission, KIC 8462852 was observed to undergo irregularly shaped, aperiodic dips in flux down to below the 20% level. The dipping activity can last for between 5 and 80 days. We characterize the object with high-resolution spectroscopy, spectral energy distribution fitting, and Fourier analyses of the Kepler light curve. We determine thatKIC 8462852 is a main-sequence F3 V/IV star, with a rotation period ~0.88 d, that exhibits no significant IR excess. In this paper, we describe various scenarios to explain the mysterious events in the Kepler light curve, most of which have problems explaining the data in hand. By considering the observational constraints on dust clumps orbiting a normal main-sequence star, we conclude that the scenario most consistent with the data is the passage of a family of exocomet fragments, all of which are associated with a single previous breakup event. We discuss the necessity of future observations to help interpret the system."

Default_user
almost 3 years ago

Has any one considered that light from the is being lensed through an obscuring source which could distort the signal???

Default_user
almost 3 years ago

Point of clarification... what I mean is could the light be bent through gravitational effects from a dim neutron star or black hole which would not be readily apparent.

Please Log In to make comments.