Chat

discussion

Version 2 Feature Requests

Started by mschwamb
Default_user
almost 6 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions - some of these we have plans for - others maybe in the future - we're an extremely small team with limited resources and our developers are supporting and creating new zooniverse projects as well as working on PH - we try our best to make PH the best it can be - I will forward these ideas to the team and those that we agree with and think we can implement, we will add to to the to do list though we have higher priorities like getting the rest of the new Kepler data in the system we will be tackling first.

Cheers,

~Meg

Default_user
almost 6 years ago

DavieDo:

I notice that there seems to be some confusion over what transits look like, this may be leading to star variability being miss identified as transits. A more extensive flash based training program that shows people several transits, eclipsing binaries and stars with no transit features, asks them to identify the transits and then tells them what they are looking at may be helpful in reducing the number of false positives you are getting.

I find it quite hard to know how to categorise the stars (quiet, regular, pulsating and irregular). To my amateur eye many stars could be placed in two or more of these sets. The example images shown in the tutorial pages are useful but I feel there need to be more to cover more of the range of patterns seen in the data. A flash program with many images that asks users to classify the star and than gives an expert classification with an brief explanation of what has prompted the expert to make the classification would be very helpful.

If both of these training programs where combined then it would be like a simulation of the real task, but with feedback, much like the every brief introduction you already have.

Inclusion of 50-100 stars in this program would be a good start towards reducing the number of false positives and misclassifications you are probably getting.

Most typical classifiers only stick around for 5-10 stars, so we have to cater to that group as well as our more advanced users- we do have a site guide for users like yourself who want to know more and improve their classifications - have you read that?

Thanks,

~Meg

Default_user
almost 6 years ago

waynepro:

Is ther an app for iPad. Unfortunately when planet hunting on the iOS it is not possible to click and drag the transit window.

Currently the site does not work on the ipad. I'm hoping in the next year we'll be able to have an ipad app.

Cheers,

~Meg

Default_user
almost 6 years ago

psdavis:

I'm a bit annoyed, having identified a fair number of interesting features on various stars, to find that I've been doing it all wrong. My fault entirely, but I misunderstood the tutorial as telling me to drag the blue cross to the place of interest and then let go. Only by accident have I discovered the "box" mechanism, so I've wasted an evening, and some data. I suggest that the tutorial demonstrates the right way to do things. And whilst I'm on the subject, I was slightly shocked to be asked to classify regularity although it wasn't mentioned at all in the tutorial.

both ways work - you can either drag your mouse and make a box or hit the plus sign to make a box - have you seen the tutorial video?

~Meg

Default_user
almost 6 years ago

I would like to be able to rearrange my saved stars now that I feel more confident in classifying them

Also to access them in the usual format when logging on rather than a long list.

I agree that typical examples and specimen tests would give us a better idea of what to look out for and reduce our junk input,especially when we first start.

Could the computer give us any feedback as to how rubbish we are?and whether we are getting any worse!

Default_user
almost 6 years ago

Here are my suggestions.

Pre - load the next star as the previous one is being loaded. It would significantly increase speed of classification and stop the waiting for the next star to load.

Have a "set of theoretical curves" for the different possibilities, i.e. small planet big sun, different orbits, 2 similar binary stars etc, so people get more idea what to look for (help decide the classification)

Train an A.I. to do the job, as the people classify they also train a neural net classifier.

Give more feedback on the accuracy required, possibly with better tests? Give people badges for accuracy. Question, to rethink if a mistake is highlighted? ie send to another user with question?

Show the F.F.T (Fourier transform) or other analysis of the signal, wavelet analysis etc...

Dr A Doyle PhD (A.K.A. Wrapperband)

Default_user
almost 6 years ago

uckle:

I would like to be able to rearrange my saved stars now that I feel more confident in classifying them

Also to access them in the usual format when logging on rather than a long list.

I agree that typical examples and specimen tests would give us a better idea of what to look out for and reduce our junk input,especially when we first start.

Could the computer give us any feedback as to how rubbish we are?and whether we are getting any worse!

We'd have to know where all the transits are - we don't so you might mark something and it's real and the Kepler algorithms and detection scheme missed them.

~Meg

Default_user
almost 6 years ago

mschwamb:

Thanks for the suggestions - some of these we have plans for - others maybe in the future - we're an extremely small team with limited resources and our developers are supporting and creating new zooniverse projects as well as working on PH - we try our best to make PH the best it can be - I will forward these ideas to the team and those that we agree with and think we can implement, we will add to to the to do list though we have higher priorities like getting the rest of the new Kepler data in the system we will be tackling first.

Cheers,

~Meg

Okay thanks ~Meg and understood. Good luck with prioritizing...

Default_user
almost 6 years ago

how about two y axis faders which can be moved up and down so as to create a narrow horizontal band?

Default_user
almost 6 years ago

I have given myself nystagmus in my left eye.I really have!

Please Log In to make comments.