Chat

discussion

Version 2 Feature Requests

Started by mschwamb
Default_user
almost 6 years ago

HI,

I was wondering if there was a more in depth tutorial available, or could the various "papers" and links to more detailed explanations be put together as a supplement links list on the tutorials page.

I ask because I've missed a couple of K favourites after spotting them, examining them, and then thinking that they were brightness spikes and not transits.

Also it might be worth flagging known EB's on the classify page. That way you'd only have users flagging new EB's ... OR ... flagging an EB with an anomaly that might be a transit.

Oh, and PLEASE ... with the example transits - having the transit in Q1 but showing me Q2 or Q3 which have nothing in them is pointless/misleading.

Having said all this - I'm having a ball, this is fun, very interesting, even addictive.

P.S. Perhaps an option (mini set of icons) to flag "interesting stars" for other projects. So a small button each for binaries, flares, ejection events, "just plain weird!"... :-)

Default_user
almost 6 years ago

On the collection page: is it possible to make the "previous" and "next" button additionally to those little gray dots? And if those dots would be little bigger and darker - this would help a lot :).

Default_user
almost 6 years ago
Greg* in response to Al Ganonim

Al Ganonim:

On the collection page: is it possible to make the "previous" and "next" button additionally to those little gray dots? And if those dots would be little bigger and darker - this would help a lot :).

Yes, it would really be a good thing

Anf for people who have a big screen, maybe that we could have more than 6 pictures to look at.

Now that we have 5 quarters, it would be intresting to have a global view of the same star on just 1 page without having to click on the little gray dots?(-> When you click on "view star").

Default_user
almost 6 years ago

Since we amateurs are involved ,and I know it's difficult, could you moderators please translate the science in simple terms so that we mere mortals can understand. i.e. when explaining the variations in orbits of eb's it would be nice to know what sort of twists are happening without it being too complicated if that is possible.Thanks.

Default_user
almost 6 years ago

Also

If we had two horizontal blinds we could pull up and draw down which would exclude some of the light and give us a peep at narrow horizontal bands,we might be better at picking out subtle transits from the fuzz.I think your aim is to use the pattern recognition abilities of ordinary brains to do this.

If it were calibrated I'm sure this would make it much easier to do this.and we might even be able with SIMPLE sums to work out some things about it.My eyes get befuddled!

Default_user
almost 6 years ago

uckle:

Since we amateurs are involved ,and I know it's difficult, could you moderators please translate the science in simple terms so that we mere mortals can understand. i.e. when explaining the variations in orbits of eb's it would be nice to know what sort of twists are happening without it being too complicated if that is possible.Thanks.

Hi uckle. Here's a link to a thread, the first post has some links to handy blog articles.

http://talk.planethunters.org/chat/bbc_stargazing/discussions/DPH10101wb

Hope this helps :-)

Default_user
almost 6 years ago

echo-lily-mai:

uckle:

Hi uckle. Here's a link to a thread, the first post has some links to handy blog articles.

http://talk.planethunters.org/chat/bbc_stargazing/discussions/DPH10101wb

Hope this helps :-)

That's good! Thanks :-)

Default_user
almost 6 years ago

Any chance we can control the number of stars in our 'classified' section. I've got 350-odd pages of them! Also, a search facility - I have a number of APH numbers I would like to go back to, but had forgotten to mark them as favourite at the time. Thanks

Default_user
almost 6 years ago

I sometimes believe I may be looking at a Binary or Multiple. Could there be an OPTIONAL COMPLETE box where a PH can enter the number of stars they believe they are looking at. Although, not essential, it could be interesting.

Default_user
almost 6 years ago
Ptd

The most obvious lack seems to be the means for users to quantify the depth and duration of any potential transit they are sticking a box over, while still in the user interface.

How about a couple of drop down buttons appearing on the transit mark box after you have positioned it; which the user can choose to press or not to press? One for estimated transit depth and another for the number of datapoints the suspected transit covers?

Or would recording that data in an automated way, attached to the fact that someone has stuck a box there, be of no practical worth to anyone?

Please Log In to make comments.