Default_user
over 8 years ago

This is a keyword set based around the #planet tag. If you write '#planet' in a discussion around an object then that object will be added to tis collection automatically.

Default_user
over 8 years ago

I am totally unqualified to designate planets. Can we use this thread to point you to appropriate objects and let you make the determination of planethood?

Default_user
over 8 years ago
edg

I've made a keyword set for #simulated data too, so people can put examples of synthetic data (not real planets) in there.

Default_user
over 8 years ago
edg in response to kbaskins

That's basically what we're doing :). We should be marking stars that we think have planets with the #planet tag and then the Kepler folks can take a look at it and determine if there really is one there.

Default_user
over 8 years ago

I've started adding #planet to interesting ones. There should be a better way to do this though.

Default_user
over 8 years ago

you can use the #transit one to identify it

Default_user
over 8 years ago
mschwamb (science team) in response to edg

Hi EDG, just to clarify we're not on the Kepler Team - we're using the publicly released data from the Kepler Team and NASA - Meg from the Science Team

Default_user
over 8 years ago

thanks for all the tagging you've all been doing! Meg from the Science Team

Default_user
over 8 years ago

Will we be able to tell which are selected by the team for further investigation? Just Curious.

Also, It'd be nice if the science team had an icon or something beside your names to differentiate from us laymen :)

Default_user
over 8 years ago

We consider planethunters to be partners in this effort and will definitely let you know about the follow-up work that we're doing. The Kepler field is not currently observable from ground based telescopes (it "rises" for us in April, though the Kepler spacecraft is in an Earth trailing orbit and sees the field year round) but expect to hear more about our plans then! One important thing: there will be a download of Kepler data to the public archive in February - that will constitute some "follow-up" as you'll get to see if signals are repeating. (debra from the science team)

Please Log In to make comments.