discussion

Welcome to Planet Hunters

Started by Kevin
Default_user
over 8 years ago

Hi all, how's it going?

Default_user
over 8 years ago

Not bad - you? Several awesome examples o light curves in here already :)

Default_user
over 8 years ago
edg

This site is an awesome idea :). Thanks for setting it up!

Default_user
over 8 years ago

Autistic synesthetic, I see all sorts of things in these light curves. There is meaning there that is so obvious, but it's like looking at a foreign language written with the English alphabet - I know what the letters are, but not the words. I think if I could get together with someone who could help me understand the technicalities of what these features and patterns mean, it wouldn't take very long at all for me to begin to be able to "read" these light curves almost like a book - when I recognize what's happening in the light curve, I don't see the curve, I see the objects the curve represents. I look at the curves, and I see the star system and begin forming a sense of the objects within it producing these curve effects - a very graphical-intensive thing. I didn't even know my mind would do that, but it seems to do it naturally. I'd love to train this skill to put it to good use. Anyone in Pittsburgh like to get together for some tutoring of yours truly in the finer aspects of interpreting stellar light curves? :-?

Default_user
over 8 years ago

I have been looking at what I thought was real data but it popped up as simulated and asked if I could spot the transits? The red vertical dots indicate the transits which were not only not obvious but buried. There is no way I could have spotted them given the state of the light curve. Can you provide some guidance on this? These were not the easy ones shown under amazing transits but literally appeared as vertical 'noise'.

Default_user
over 8 years ago

Zooming and scrolling the light points is agonizingly, excruciatingly slow. :( Fix that.

Default_user
over 8 years ago

ditto what shaun101 says it is hugely slow to move the light point boxes - otherwise this is a nice site and idea :)

Default_user
over 8 years ago

@pmaley: Hi there, unfortunately the ones buried in the noise are also the most interesting ones, since they correspond to the smallest planets like the Earth. We cannot really provide any guidance on this. The main thing is to look for a few consecutive points that are below average. After looking at many light curves, it does get easier. Will it be easy enough to spot these tiny dips buried in the noise? Future will tell.

Default_user
over 8 years ago

Hi everybody! Greetings from Italy!

Default_user
over 8 years ago

Hi, what a great addition to the Zooniverse! I think at least some of us are REALLY going to get lucky, but I think the devil will be in the DETAIL of those light curves... I think practice and magnification are the key...

Please Log In to make comments.