Chat

discussion

Version 2 Feature Requests

Started by mschwamb
Default_user
about 6 years ago

I think showing the number of comments in the "Type, Magnitude, Temp, Radius" area, and making it click to open in a new (full sized) window/tab would be very beneficial. It would allow people to say "I think this is a good candidate. If you look at...", and others to consider that.

Or at least don't load up the next one as soon as people choose to talk. If I click "yes" to see if anyone's mentioned anything about graphs, then "oh, wait, I can't say anything about that one... It loaded up the next one as soon as I clicked "yes" to talk."

Unless each person doing it blind is part of the benefit of this, that is.

Default_user
about 6 years ago

Just one suggestion: removing all the known EBs and wellknown PTs from the database that you submit to the public.

rationale:

1- It does not make really sense to ask us to look for transit on these well known objects. Let's have the public rather have a look at "unexplored" data from stars, which are not already identified with EB or PT.

2- it might built some frustration, when each time a "public planet hunter" find something, he/she is told by the Science Team, that what he/she found is already wellknown. We might demotivate hunters on the long run....

Does it make sense for others ?

Default_user
about 6 years ago

hstevenin:

Just one suggestion: removing all the known EBs and wellknown PTs from the database that you submit to the public.

rationale:

1- It does not make really sense to ask us to look for transit on these well known objects. Let's have the public rather have a look at "unexplored" data from stars, which are not already identified with EB or PT.

2- it might built some frustration, when each time a "public planet hunter" find something, he/she is told by the Science Team, that what he/she found is already wellknown. We might demotivate hunters on the long run....

Does it make sense for others ?

We are also calculating an independent estimate for the number of planets using Planet Hunters which requires we search all the data for planets, not just the light curves we don't know if there is a planet in it - so we have to look at the kepler favorites as well to see if we would detect them - for more on what I'm doing on this part of the project you can read my blog post. I presented the first step in these results on Tuesday at a conference in France.

~Meg

Default_user
about 6 years ago

@hstevenin: I would also miss the Kepler favorites as good examples (besides the simulations) how real transits look like.

Default_user
about 6 years ago

Congrats Meg and Chris for your talk in Nantes and thanks for sharing your abstract with us.

It helps us to better understand how our contribution via Planet Hunters is used and can help.

If I got it well, submitting to us already known EBs and PTs is a way for you to estimate the performance of our tracking and a kind of proficiency training for us to keep in mind what we are looking for.

That's fair enough and counterbalance the rationale of my above suggestion, which does not sound really valid for a request to the version 2 feature.

Default_user
about 6 years ago

I would recommend moving the "finish" button. A few times I've encountered that after 25-30 marks of transit, the Finish button ends up hiding behind the star information screen, and am unable to click on it.

Default_user
about 6 years ago

A very simple suggestion to substantially speed up searching: remove the "Do you want to discuss this star?" from the series of questions. Instead post it outside the question "bubble" permanently on screen so we can go to a discussion if we want. There is no need for use to have to answer this question yes or no for every star. When you've finished marking transits, you can either hit "finish" to automatically advance to the next star, or "Discuss" to go to that page.

And for a bit of convenience, move up the "mark as favorite" up next to the question button as well. On my laptop, I have to scroll down to see it and hit it,

Default_user
almost 6 years ago

I would be great to be able to put a username into the talk pages select box, not just "everyone" and "me".

Default_user
almost 6 years ago

Ability to use with my iPad.

Default_user
almost 6 years ago

I'm a bit annoyed, having identified a fair number of interesting features on various stars, to find that I've been doing it all wrong. My fault entirely, but I misunderstood the tutorial as telling me to drag the blue cross to the place of interest and then let go. Only by accident have I discovered the "box" mechanism, so I've wasted an evening, and some data. I suggest that the tutorial demonstrates the right way to do things. And whilst I'm on the subject, I was slightly shocked to be asked to classify regularity although it wasn't mentioned at all in the tutorial.

Please Log In to make comments.