Chat

discussion

Version 2 Feature Requests

Started by mschwamb
Default_user
about 6 years ago

Just a thought - I'm finding all these simulations very demoralising. Just spend ages marking 20 transits only to find it was a simulation!

Default_user
about 6 years ago

Brockmas:

Just a thought - I'm finding all these simulations very demoralising. Just spend ages marking 20 transits only to find it was a simulation!

I know the sims can be frustrating but that's also where a good part of the science comes from - it let's us figure out what types of planets PH can detect - I'm using the results from the simulations to help find planet candidates and will be presenting the results from this at a conference in October - more on that here

Default_user
about 6 years ago

Ok - I'll grin and bear them now I know they have a pupose :-)

mschwamb:

Brockmas:

I know the sims can be frustrating but that's also where a good part of the science comes from - it let's us figure out what types of planets PH can detect - I'm using the results from the simulations to help find planet candidates and will be presenting the results from this at a conference in October - more on that here

Default_user
about 6 years ago

I know this is lame and sad; but some sort of reward system for doing this would give me enormous motivation to do more of it. Just virtual rewards, you know, bronze medal, silver medal and so on. I'm well aware that the rewards wouldn't actually exist and they're meaningless, its just a psychological... thing. Something evolution left in there. Go figure.

Default_user
about 6 years ago

I think it would be helpful to draw lines between successive observations this would help to see if there is a trend over a period of time without having to zoom in to far. It may be appropriate to turn this feature on and off as required.

On another note I also noticed that the finish button disappears if you mark more than 18 transits. It would be better if the finish button was somewhere else. Also the Transit bubble sometimes covers the edge of the data area. Both these issues were worse when using Linux. Firefox on Linux (Ubuntu latest version) is also slow to respond to scale changes.

Default_user
about 6 years ago

Could curves of known or highly likely planets be shown for comparison? Im seeing plenty of repeat sinusoidal curves, but have no idea if its seeing the wood for the trees. Also if multiple planets transiting is a possibility, could the points be marked in different colours to suggest different transiting planets?

Default_user
about 6 years ago

Is it possible to have some indication of variability on the y axis either 2 standard deviations marked or a moving average with moving SD. It is very hard to decide with noisy data if it is worth zooming in to look more closely. I realize this may bias people against marking points of interest but you could trial it first on a percentage of users. I did export the data for a couple of stars and I think it helps.

Default_user
about 6 years ago
Greg* in response to jamesh9000

jamesh9000:

I know this is lame and sad; but some sort of reward system for doing this would give me enormous motivation to do more of it. Just virtual rewards, you know, bronze medal, silver medal and so on. I'm well aware that the rewards wouldn't actually exist and they're meaningless, its just a psychological... thing. Something evolution left in there. Go figure.

Yes, it could be a good idea to have something like what's done for BOINC projects which have a system of credits. There are even websites only dedicated to those statistics (points repartition for individuals, teams...). A sort of hall of fame with differents statistics.

Default_user
about 6 years ago

I like this idea and we'll see if there is an easy way to implement something! Unfortunately, there is no money at all for site development. You probably noticed that there are new Citizen Scientist projects - some of us are planet hunters like you, but others on the team started with Galaxy Zoo and are now shepherding a dozen projects!

Default_user
about 6 years ago

I second having the A and D keys to move the slider on the X axis, and perhaps W and S for the Y axis since a lot of people want that to vary.

The key commands would actually work with my suggestion. When I look at a light curve, I survey the whole thing and then focus my search on 5 -7 days at a time. If there were a button I could click on to automatically constrict the x-axis to the first 5 day period (maybe make the time period configurable if others have different tastes).

Please Log In to make comments.