Science

discussion

RINGS & MOONS

Started by ggccg
Default_user
over 6 years ago

Yes, a good idea. The only problem with this interpretation seems to me the fact that the deepest dip is always around the middle of the transit. If the assumed brown dwarf has a moon, I would expect to see it at random positions during the transits of the star.

Default_user
over 6 years ago
ggccg in response to zoo3hans

zoo3hans:

Yes, a good idea. The only problem with this interpretation seems to me the fact that the deepest dip is always around the middle of the transit. If the assumed brown dwarf has a moon, I would expect to see it at random positions during the transits of the star.

The brown dwarf's period could be some multiple the moon's period.

Default_user
over 6 years ago
pauldrye in response to ggccg

ggccg:

Its period could be the same as that of the brown dwarf.

No, that would be gravitationally unstable. Kepler's Third Law implies that in such a setup the more massive of the two objects would "win" the moon, so in this case the moon would taken away from the brown dwarf by the greater gravity of the star.

Default_user
over 6 years ago

Yes, Gerald, but it would have to be synchronized with the orbiting period of the brown dwarf around the star (i.e our Moon would need to have a 1 year orbit around Earth).

Default_user
over 6 years ago
pauldrye in response to ggccg

ggccg:

The brown dwarf's period could be some multiple the moon's period.

That wouldn't work either. Orbital resonance would pull the moon into another orbit around the brown dwarf very quickly.

Default_user
over 6 years ago
ggccg in response to zoo3hans

zoo3hans:

Yes, Gerald, but it would have to be synchronized with the orbiting period of the brown dwarf around the star (i.e our Moon would need to have a 1 year orbit around Earth).

Well, in this case, we're talking about what... 23 days? Regardless, PaulDrye says that won't work either. Any other theories?

Default_user
over 6 years ago

A ring closer to the planet? Or perhaps it's an instrumental effect?

Default_user
over 6 years ago

I would exclude an instrumental effect, since the effect can be seen at each transit (at least 5 times) and is quite pronounced.

Default_user
over 6 years ago

@zoo3hans

Yes, you are probably right! That makes a lot of difference.

Default_user
over 6 years ago

interesting? http://talk.planethunters.org/objects/APH23147857

Please Log In to make comments.