Help

discussion
Default_user
almost 7 years ago

JanDoggen

Request for changes in the interface

1) Give us an old-fashioned horizontal scrollbar and a zoom in/out control. Pulling in the sides works awfully. It would go much faster and allow better investigation if we could just slide from left to right at the magnification we want.

Yes, I agree.

Default_user
almost 7 years ago

On the basis of an offhand remark by one of the team members, I created a keyword set named "Flares". In spite of tagging 10 or 12 objects as flares, the collection only displays the first six objects. Is this something specific to keyword set collections, or all collections?

Also, you should be aware of this feature for the keyword set collection initiated by ttfnrob. I know there are many objects with the planet tag, but his collection also only shows the first six.

Default_user
almost 7 years ago

Hello - I'd like to see a more detailed tutorial with different looking examples and how they relate to the questions asked. I'm trying my best based on the limited tutorial but I'm worried that I might be screwing up your results.

Default_user
almost 7 years ago
drrichard in response to ttfnrob (admin)

I'm glad I'm not the only one having trouble. The tutorial seems to assume prior knowledge of the process. It badly needs a y-axis label and, as has been pointed out by others, would be much better if it only showed a few stars at once. Also, I'm confused. If the x-axis is time, and the y is magnitude, wouldn't the changes in brightness occur as a sine wave type pattern over time? It's hard to see these being vertical since that assumes instantaneous shifts in light intensity. The x-axis slider bar is clunky, although that could be my computer. (And has anyone thought of trying a y-axis slider? Those two working in tandem or by individual controls if someone wants to try both in sequence might make shifts easier to see.) Finally, as suggested, just showing a few stars at a time (and if possible automatically filtering out known Cepheids and other variable sources) would make the process far easier.

Default_user
almost 7 years ago

I'm puzzled by the description of stars I visited. Example:

SPH10111968: Giant with a radius 0.7 times that of our Sun. It has a magnitude of 15.2 and is spectral type M

SPH10053050: Dwarf with a radius 2.1 times that of our Sun. It has a magnitude of 12.8 and is spectral type G

Small giants and big dwarfs ?

Default_user
almost 7 years ago
jspronck in response to Phil Lamb

Hi - this is Julien from the Science team. We are working on more detailed tutorials. We are also working on writing a few blog posts to explain what we mean with the different questions asked. In the meantime, there are two places where you can find information: http://www.planethunters.org/tutorial and http://www.planethunters.org/science.

Cheers

Default_user
almost 7 years ago
rvd

Can someone explain how this is a transit? It is a simulation, but I can't understand any of the transits that were marked, so i took a screen grab of the site of one transit to see if anyone else could tell me why it is a transit. I don't see how to attach the screen grab to my comment, however.

It is OBJECT APH10150531 .

Default_user
almost 7 years ago

there is lack of defined #keywords that can be used when positing a new comments

Default_user
almost 7 years ago
jspronck in response to rvd

Hi - This is Julien from the Science team. What we do with the simulated data is to take a real lightcurve from Kepler and block at some given time part of the light in order to simulate a planet transiting. Depending on the size of the simulated planet, the dip of the transit will be more or less deep. Simulated transits with red dots correspond to very small planets like the Earth. The reason that you don't see it is that the depth of the transit is smaller than the noise, which makes it very challenging to be seen.

Cheers.

Default_user
almost 7 years ago

The textballoon feature is very annoying. It is obscuring the data and is useless. The feature for zooming in is really sluggish (I'm using Opera) and I'd like a back button. The help pop up is very small and too basic.

Please Log In to make comments.