Help

discussion
Default_user
almost 7 years ago

Hi I've got this message "Well done you've seen all of the data. Check back soon for more planet hunting!" I'm sure this can't be right as I haven't had chance to look at that many! I've only classified just a few so far. Any thoughts?

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_nLYnneFAz_Q/TQp6rPxm8AI/AAAAAAAAAA4/1HAvVDgBEvo/PH%20screengrab.jpg

Default_user
almost 7 years ago
  1. What's the Y-axis measuring and in what units, or is it simply a relative index of magnitude?

It's the normalized flux of the star, so 1.0000 is the "typical" brightness and any deviations are the star getting brighter or dimmer.

1. What does the "start of the quarter" refer to in the X-axis? Is it just an arbitrary start point for a three-month period or something else?

Kepler divides its observing seasons into "quarters", nevermind that 35 days is not a quarter of a year. Future data releases from Kepler are supposed to be in quarters, but they will probably release it in chunks of variable lengths...

What is the "frame rate" of Kepler? I think I saw someone say on the board that the data points are collected every 30 minutes - is that correct?

Yep!

Kevin

Default_user
almost 7 years ago

Hmm that's worrying. What happens if you log out and log back in?

Default_user
almost 7 years ago

OK I'll try now. I'm on a Mac using OSX Snow Leopard.

Default_user
almost 7 years ago

I logged out and back in. It's ok now. Working fine :)

Default_user
almost 7 years ago

Hi - I think I understand what's going on now. Took a while, though. People are idiots (me included) so it's usually best to treat them as such. Btw, good programme and very worthwhile. Please make the tutorial as easy as possible - for instance, labelling the axes would be a good start :-) !

Default_user
almost 7 years ago

OK this is the last comment tonight.... I just clicked on yes to the question "Does the star have any transit features?" and it took me to the talk page? (I thought I'd get a little box to draw with, but I didn't)

Default_user
almost 7 years ago

It would be really nice to be able to re-size the box from each corner, not just the bottom right. If the bottom right corner gets moved off the chart, then the whole thing needs to be dragged back in order to re-size it at all. Since transits are at the bottom of the chart, this happens pretty often. At the very least having one re-size option on the top of the box would be nice. It's not major, but not having the option can be kind of annoying.

Default_user
almost 7 years ago

In help box for "Type of variability", there's a missing image - one that should be an example for regular variability.

Default_user
almost 7 years ago

glad that worked - keep on hunting :-)

Please Log In to make comments.