Chat

discussion

Version 2 Feature Requests

Started by mschwamb
Default_user
about 6 years ago

The PH team wants to hear your thoughts and suggestions on features you think might be useful to have on the star source pages, in Talk, or on the classify interface. I can't promise we'll be able to do everything, but we'll definitely consider all your suggestions (so please do post), and we'll try to incorporate them as best we can when in the future we start to plan and build the next round of upgrades and improvements for the site.

Thanks,

~Meg

Default_user
about 6 years ago

Hi,

As I mentionned in another thread : There is an insteresting possibility on Ice-hunting :

On "My IceHunting", you can see your recent activity with interesting details, for example who notated the same place that you have marked and in which order it was done. ?"

In fact, it would be interesting to be able to know what the other PH have thought of the star :

repartition of the star classification (percentage of people who classified the star in variable, quiet, pulsating...)

Number of people who found a transit on the star and it would be interesting too, to know where.

Thank you

Default_user
about 6 years ago

Meg - Thanks for starting this thread.

Speed up the presentation of the next Light Curve once you have finished classifying the present one (i.e. be fast enough to have the user not get the "spinner").

I have DSL and on a good day it takes 5-8 Sec for the next LC to load; it only goes downhill from there if I'm competing with my teenagers for bandwidth; I'm sure I'm not the only one. If you could prefetch the next LC, while the user is classifying the current one, it should be able to be presented to them almost instantly. This should increase your classifications per hour overall.

If this isn't in V2 then I suggest implementing a method for measuring and tracking this lost time so that it can be quantified.

Thanks ScottW

Default_user
about 6 years ago

Start making the simulations into a training tool for the users.

I realize that you are using them to evaluate the overall effectiveness of PH, but I think that the overall effectiveness could be improved if the sims were also geared to train the users. I went on about this in another thread ( http://talk.planethunters.org/discussions/DPH100i3ja?page=1&per_page=10 ). The main point being that I think users get frustrated with overly large transits in the sims and would find it more enjoyable if the sims were near their own detection threshold, this would also provide better training for each user. You could still mix in transits of any size you were interested in studying, but if about half of them were around a given user's detection threshold it would help keep their interest.

In the end you would end up with better trained users and fewer users would "skip" the simulations (with whatever that entails to the metrics you are collecting).

Thanks, ScottW

Default_user
about 6 years ago

I have been using this site quite heavily for the past several months. Initially, I spent most of my time classifying stars and marking planetary transits. Lately, however, I have been actively engaged in the search for secondary signals imbedded in the main transit signature. As such, my usability needs may differ somewhat from the average PH user.

At the present time, my highest priority needs all involve the light curve viewer when used in view-only mode (as opposed to classify mode). They include:

1. Support scrolling of light curves based on a user selectable time frame. Users should have the ability to select by:

•  Start and end time.

•  Whole quarters or any 30-day period thereof (e.g., 2.3).

•  Full time series.

The default should be set to full time series.

2. For light curves originally recorded in short cadence mode, allow the user to select the display cadence:

•  Short Cadence – display @ 1 data point per minute.

•  Long Cadence – display @ 1 data point every 30 minutes.

Currently, short cadence data is automatically downsized to long cadence rates before rendering. By presenting only about 3% of the data, any subtle signals that may be present in the data are effectively lost.

The default should be set to short cadence.

3. Allow the user to select light curves by:

• SPH number.

• Kepler ID.

• KOI.

• Kepler planet name.

A major problem for me right now is that I have no easy way to display the light curve for a star only knowing only the Kepler ID. Although PH provides the Kepler ID for a SPH number it does not provide the SPH number for a Kepler ID. So, if I want to view the light curve for a Kepler ID, I am forced to use the light curve viewer at NStED which is vastly inferior to the PH viewer in terms of usability and legibility.

4. Place a menu item for launching the Light Curve Viewer on the main menu bar so that it can be accessed easily. Currently, if I want to view a light curve, I have to enter the URL for the star into my web browser (e.g., http://www.planethunters.org/sources/SPH10002977). Having a menu item to launch the viewer will greatly facilitate ease of use.

Thanks!

Default_user
about 6 years ago

thanks for the feedback -I'm definitely planning on proposing changes to the star source pages to make reviewing the data easier especially as we get more data - just wanted to let you know if case you didn't that you can get to the source pages for any star on talk by clicking on examine star link on talk.

~Meg

Default_user
about 6 years ago

Although the interface for classifying is already very good, I sometimes have the need to change the scale on the Y axis. In widely varying LC, if you stay on maximal scale you see nothing and if you zoom in, variation in light intensity renders the zoom useless. Would it be interesting to be able to adjust the Y axis scale like we adjust the time scale ?

Lucas

Default_user
about 6 years ago

mschwamb:

thanks for the feedback -I'm definitely planning on proposing changes to the star source pages to make reviewing the data easier especially as we get more data - just wanted to let you know if case you didn't that you can get to the source pages for any star on talk by clicking on examine star link on talk.

~Meg

Thank you for the response.

If you are referring to the "Search" field in the "Talk" section, one thing that could be done to make life easier is to allow the SPH number to be entered into the field and then go directly to the light curve viewer for that star. That would allow an efficient mechanism for quickly viewing the light curves for numerous stars like I am doing currently.

At present, the Search interface does not recognize the SPH number at all which seems a bit restrictive. It only seems to respond to the APH number.

Default_user
about 6 years ago

One feature that I would find useful would be to be able to move the 2 or 5 day period you are looking at with the left and right arrow.

Default_user
about 6 years ago

I would like to toggle off the background graphics. I find the orange-ish one distracting and will reset the LC until the blue one comes up. And I dislike the lightest value of both those graphics, I feel like my lamp is reflecting on my screen. Simply black would be a great option.

Being able to view more than one quarter while still "in-the-blind" would be useful, as we're often trying to establish periodicity. I imagine using some huge slider bar to go from the beginning to end of accessible data.

I agree that a scalable Y axis would be a great addition. I understand why it has not been implemented so far, though.

As a newb, I would like some easily used tools in a work-up bar, with descriptions or tutorials to prod us along if we are feeling adventurous enough to want to contribute something more than a comment of "I see something." Or links to tools, perhaps. I am still unclear how much the science team wants from us as viewers. Certainly some of us will jump down the rabbit hole as far as we are allowed.

Please Log In to make comments.